8 Reasons Why You Should Fire Your Boss and Start Your Own Business
Have you ever felt stuck in your career? Have you ever felt like no matter how hard you work, you’re not making the progress you deserve?
As a woman in the workplace, I’ve faced my fair share of challenges—from the gender pay gap to limited opportunities for advancement, it can be frustrating to feel like our careers are not progressing as we had imagined.
But here’s the thing: we do not have to settle for a mediocre career. We have the power to take control of our future and create a business that aligns with our values and passions.
What Happens When We Settle
I was once in a position where I was so unhappy with my day-to-day life, but I refused to acknowledge it. Unfortunately, I could no longer avoid the issue when I had a panic attack while driving on a busy Los Angeles freeway with my two young children in the back seat of the car.
My breathing was ragged, I was losing my vision, and I was suddenly nauseous—in that moment, I realized that I was the one who had put us in this dangerous situation. I wasn’t being honest with myself about what I needed, I felt stuck in a rut, and I wasn’t willing to make changes to take better care of myself and, by extension, my family.
Although I was able to safely pull over to the side of the freeway, it was a wake-up call that I couldn’t ignore. Something needed to change, and fast. It was clear to me that I couldn’t continue living my life in the same way, ignoring my own needs and desires, and inadvertently putting my family’s safety at risk.
I needed to take control of my life, and that’s when I made the decision to start my own business.
Fire Your Boss!
It may have all started from my closet, but it eventually grew into a successful, thriving global female community, or “fempire.” And you know what? I’ve never been happier. And because I’m meeting my own needs, my family is thriving too. Taking risks and following your dreams can pay off in ways you never even imagined if you can push yourself not to settle.
After going through this journey and successfully coming out the other side, I’d like to share 8 reasons why you should fire your boss and start your own business too:
1. First, when you start your own business, you are in total control of your direction and vision. You set your own goals, devise your own strategies, and create a career that aligns with your passions and interests. You don’t have to answer to anyone else, and you don’t have to compromise on your values.
2. Second, starting your own business gives you the flexibility to manage multiple responsibilities outside of work. As women, we often have caregiving responsibilities or household duties that can make it difficult to pursue career and professional development goals. When you start your own business, you can create a schedule where you can be productive while also prioritizing yourself and your family.
There were many nights when I found myself working late, long after my kids had gone to bed. But you know what? I didn’t mind it one bit, because earlier in the day, I had the freedom to attend my children’s school events, like their athletic carnival or the fair. Being able to work around my family’s needs feels like pure freedom. It’s liberating, to say the least, to escape the 9-to-5 grind and have the flexibility to prioritize what really matters.
3. Starting your own business also allows you to meaningfully pursue your passions. If you’re passionate about a particular industry or topic, you can create a business around that. Having daily work projects that are meaningful to you enables you to live in better alignment with your core needs and values.
My entrepreneurial journey began when I launched my own marketing and design agency. But as time went on, my business and I grew and evolved into something else. I realized I could pursue my true passion for supporting women who, like me, had felt stuck and unfulfilled in their careers. I could use my experience to give back and help others who might be going through the same struggles that I did on that fateful day on the LA freeway. Now, my business has transformed into a global business and coaching brand, dedicated to empowering women to take control of their lives and achieve their dreams.
4. Another reason to start your own business is to build something for the future. When you work for someone else, you are building their business. When you start your own business, you are building something for yourself. A business can be a legacy that not only showcases your accomplishments but can also be passed down to future generations.
5. Starting your own business gives you the power to create a more equitable workplace. Women often face discrimination and inequality in the workplace. As your own boss, you can implement measures to create a culture that values diversity and equity, and to ensure that the culture is inclusive of all voices and perspectives.
6. Let’s not forget about the potential to make more money! When you work for someone else, your income is often limited by the company’s budget, the standard wage, and/or hindered by office politics. When you start your own business, your income potential is unlimited. You can set your own prices and earn more money as you learn new skills, add more value, and grow your network of clients.
7. Speaking of skills, starting your own business will finally give you the opportunity to learn new skills. You should start by educating yourself on marketing, finance, sales, and other aspects of running a business. These skills will be valuable not just for your business, but for your life overall.
The road to personal growth that starting a business will take you on will blow your mind. I’ve learned more about myself through starting my own business than I ever would have working for someone else— as a businesswoman, leader, mother, and wife.
8. And finally, starting your own business can be incredibly fulfilling. It doesn’t always feel like it, but each of us has the power to take control of our careers and create a better future for ourselves. A business is an opportunity to create a legacy founded upon what’s truly important to you and then use it to make a difference in other’s lives, including your own.
You have the skills, the passion, and the drive to succeed. Now it’s time to take the leap and make your dreams a reality. I’ve never regretted my decision, even when running my business is hard, I wouldn’t go back to the limitations of working for others.
If you’re feeling frustrated with your current job or the direction of your career and think it may be time to fire your boss and start your own business, that’s exciting!
If you don’t know the first thing about starting your business, then check out Fempire, the business I built from my closet that now serves to support women like you to launch and grow their own business. I’d love to help you get started.